Chiropractors are healthcare professionals who focus on the neuromusculoskeletal system in order to treat a wide variety of health problems. They use non-invasive procedures such as manual adjustments of the spine and manipulations of the joints in order relieve pain, improve functionality, and increase the body’s self-healing ability. Just like other practitioners in the fields of medicine and healthcare, chiropractors also have various areas of specializations and can perform different kinds of therapies.
Types of Chiropractic Care and Fields of Specializations
There are chiropractors who specialize in a specific type of chiropractic care, while there are some who practice in several areas. Below are the three major types of chiropractic care.
- Corrective Chiropractic
This advanced type of chiropractic care is done on patients who have a more serious condition or problem with the spine. Corrective chiropractic treatments are usually conducted on people who have been suffering from neuromusculoskeletal problems, but have neglected the appropriate treatment. The duration and the frequency of therapy sessions and other forms of treatments depend on the severity of the health problem.
- Relief Chiropractic
As the name suggests, relief chiropractic care is designed in order to provide immediate relief from any discomforts or undesirable feelings in the body. This kind of chiropractic care is performed on patients who suffer from various kinds of discomfort and pain, and the duration of the therapy sessions depends on the damage acquired by the patient.
- Maintenance ChiropracticThis type of chiropractic care is performed on patients in order to maintain the treatment that was already conducted. Sometimes, patients are asked to undergo maintenance chiropractic care even though the initial therapy sessions have been proven effective, to avoid recurrence of the health problem.
Treatments and Therapies
Chiropractors have undergone extensive training and formal education to be able to perform various kinds of treatments and therapies. Some of the most common services offered by chiropractors are the following:
- Chiropractic Adjustment- This kind of treatment is probably the most common one. Also called spinal manipulation, this treatment is performed on patients with lower back pain. The main objective of this treatment is to reduce subluxation, which refers to the altering of the position of the vertebra. Through this treatment, not only will the pain be reduced, but it will also improve the function of the spine.
- Heat and Ice Therapy- This type of therapy is performed on patients with back pain. In this procedure, chiropractors will first apply ice packs on the back of the patient for several minutes and then switch and use a heating pad to restore and improve the blood flow.
- Massage- Chiropractors are well-educated with various kinds of massage therapies that are suitable for different forms of health problems. Massages are often performed to reduce inflammation, lessen pain or discomfort, and improve blood circulation.
- Hydrotherapy- As the name suggests, this kind of therapy makes use of water to improve the condition of the patient. Chiropractors will subject the patient to varying water temperatures and pressures (e.g., sauna; hot baths) for pain reduction and faster healing of inflamed areas.
- Electrical Muscle Stimulation- In this procedure, chiropractors will place electrodes that send electrical impulses on the skin in order to reduce muscle spasms, pain, and swelling.
- <a href=”http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/161815/diathermy” target=”_blank”>Diathermy</a>- In this therapy, a shortwave electromagnetic impulse will be applied in order to provide heat to the tissues. It can promote blood circulation, relax the muscles, and decrease undesirable sensations.
This article, which provides simple explanations regarding the different types of chiropractic care and therapies, will give you an idea on how chiropractors provide healthcare and help you decide whether you would rather undergo traditional kinds of treatments or try out other alternatives such as these. Keep in mind that you should only consult with reliable chiropractors to obtain the best results.