8 Massage Therapy Techniques
Massage therapy is widely used as a form of complementary and alternative medicine. It is one of the oldest methods of healing, and is performed either manually or through different aids. In general, massage is defined as pressure, rubbing, or vibration on the body.
During a massage, a client is treated while lying on a massage table or sitting in a massage chair.
Benefits of Massage
It helps your body to relax and loosens the muscles. It increases your flexibility and calms the nervous system. It aids in bringing down blood pressure and reduces the heart rate. In addition, massage also makes your skin smooth and soft and helps in recovering from traumas and sickness. Finally, massage aids in increasing concentration and reduces mental and physical tension.
Types and Techniques of Massage
Massage therapy is widely preferred today for relieving tensions and strain. There are several massage therapy techniques that are widely used and that are suitable for every person in the household. Some of them are listed below:
- Sports massage: This type of massage is used to soothe the muscles of athletes during training or after an injury.
- Deep massage: This type of massage triggers the lower layers of muscles to help heal any muscle injuries or harm.
- Swedish massage: This is similar to sports massage. This is a widely used form of massage therapy. This type of massage includes deep circular movements and vibration, which helps with relaxing.
- Trigger point massage: This works on the muscle fibers that have tightened up and can cause injuries from being overused.
- Hot stone massage: This type of massage includes the use of stones and warm oil massaged over the torso. This is the most relaxing type of massage and is best for people with insomnia.
- Reflexology: This type of massage uses pressure along the reflex zones, i.e. hands and feet. It relieves stress and renews the mind.
- Chair massage: This type of massage is practiced when a person is sitting on a comfortable massage chair.
- Pregnancy massage: This has become really common now. This massage helps women near the end of pregnancy, making it more comfortable for them.
Who Needs Massage Therapy?
In general, massage therapy is good for relaxing and relieving all kinds of tensions and stresses. Today, many people are facing back problems. Whether you work or stay at home, everyone is facing some sort of nuisance that affects their comfort and well-being. Massage helps people to release their tension. This likewise aids in blood circulation and eases the body’s muscles.
Massage therapy not only relaxes a person; today, it is widely used for people struggling with serious illnesses, even cancer patients, to reduce their pain. Many people today are facing depression, as well. Massage therapy also helps in reducing depression levels
In today’s busy life, people do not often have time to go for a massage, but now you can also massage yourself. Some techniques are stroking your temples with light pressure, rubbing your feet, or using a wooden massage tool. It is now very convenient to make some time for yourself and get a quick massage without even taking time off from your job.