How to Treat a Fungal Toenail Infection
Fungal toe nail infections are painful and odd looking. The toe nail fungus can causenail discoloration, unpleasant odor and secretions, and even the loss of the entire nail.Treatments for fungal toe nail infection that are prescribed by specialized podiatristsmay include:
- Oral anti-fungal medicines
- Antifungal creams and gels
- Antifungal prescription nail polishes
- Surgical or on-surgical removal
All of the above treatments should be supervised by experienced doctors. Certain supplements may be suggested by your doctor to ease pain and aid treatment. Besides medicines and gels, the person suffering from a fungal toe nail infection has to follow some precautions for quick recovery and to prevent further infection. It can reappear, so the affected person should seek treatment at an early stage.
Footwear Instructions for People Suffering From Toe Nail Fungus
Treating a fungal toe nail infection is a long process. The treatment methods can take weeks for complete nail recovery. The irregular shape and nail color will return to normal within a year of treatment. You will have to exhibit patience during the process. You will also have to follow any instructions from your doctor or podiatrist,to avoid any further complications in the treatment.
- Wear dry footwear and socks to avoid moisture, causing fungus
- Do not wear ill-fitted or tight shoes
- Wash your socks on daily basis
- Sandals are preferable to allow air to the affected feet
- Avoid tight hosiery
- Dry your feet thoroughly after bathing or swimming
Precautions for AvoidingToe Nail Fungus
Since toe nail fungus takes time to heal completely, youwon’t be pleased if it reappears. For this reason, you must get it treated as early as possible and in the correct way.After healing, you will have to take some precautions to prevent its reoccurrence. Home remedies to prevent toe nail fungus include:
- Trim your affected nails after soaking them in warm water for half an hour.
- Remove the unattached part of the nail and scrape off the fungus.
- Use a clean nail scissor or nail clipper to trim your nail instead of tearing it off.
- Vicks VapoRub application to nails while they are dry can aid the healing process.
- Soaking feet in vinegar and water lowers your nails’ pH, preventing fungus.
If you believe you have a fungal toe nail infection, you should make an appointment to see your doctor and begin treatment as soon as possible.