How Massage Therapy Can Restore Wellness
You know what they say; it’s always got your back . . . massage therapy! Massage therapy is a treatment of sorts used for health related purposes. It is the manipulation of deeper and superficial layers of muscle and connective tissues by use of various techniques to enhance purpose and help in the healing process.
It dates back to thousands and thousands of years ago, and it was promoted for various reasons e.g. pain relief. In a nutshell, massage therapy encompasses a variety of techniques of rubbing, pressing, and manipulating the muscles and other soft tissues of the body. Even science and research supports the fact that massage therapy is an effective form of treatment.
In the year 2008, a case study carried out in 13 different clinics found massage to be useful for chronic back pain. It has little to no risks, such as individual sensitivity to massage oils, but these are risks that can obviously be avoided.
Here are a few points that show how massage therapy can help you:
- Relieves muscle and tendon pain in case of an injury
- Rehabilitates sports injuries e.g. a knee injury
- Reduces stress levels from daily activities
- Used as a way to relax
- Helps curb depression and aid in general wellness
- Enables the body to have high immunity against various diseases
- Assists in the regulation of blood pressure
- Causes relief from generalized tension
- Assists in the circulation of lymph fluids and blood in the body
However, sometimes massage therapy is notrecommended for people with uncontrolled blood pressure, infectious diseases (the flu), inflammation, and directly over areas of varicose veins. But sometimes in special circumstances, a doctor may give clearance.
Types of Massage
There are different types of massage depending on thebody and the kind of relief opted for. They include:
- Shiatsu: This is a Japanese therapy that uses pressure applied with the thumbs, fingers and the palms as it incorporates acupressure and stretching.
- Deep Tissue Massage and Trigger Point Massage: These types of massage focus on myofoscial trigger points that are usually painful when pressed.
- Swedish Massage: This is when the therapist kneads with deep, circular movements on the patient.
- Hot Stone Massage: This is when a couple of hot stones are placed on certain points on the body to warm and loosen tight muscles by balancing energy centers in the body.
- Aromatherapy: Massage therapy with the addition of scented plant oils (essential oils) to address specific needs of the body.
Other types of massage include: Bowen therapy, mobile massage, pediatric massage, and acupuncture.
What Can Be Treated By Massage?
Specific injuries treated by massage include:
- Back and neck injury
- Knee injury
- Spinal cord injury
- Fibromyalgia: This is a long-term condition whereby there is pain and tenderness in joints, muscles, tendons and other soft tissues.
Apart from the well-known massage therapy benefits, it also helps in reducing trait anxiety (a person’s susceptibility to relief) and it reduces subclinical depressions. So the next time you have that spa day, do not forget to include a massage!